Thursday, June 8, 2006

Showdown: Tuscaloosa

Well I have hoped and hoped since 1996 that this would never happen. What would I do? Who would I cheer for? Would I really be happy either way? So, instead of answering those questions, I just hoped it would never happen. But the NCAA, in its “wisdom,” saw fit to build a 64 team bracket for the College World Series and put the North Carolina Tarheels and the Alabama Crimson Tide close enough in proximity so that, provided they emerged from their respective regionals, they would have to play each other in the super regional for a chance to play in the College World Series Finals. And guess what…yep…it happened. They both won their regionals and North Carolina is headed to Alabama this weekend for the best of three super regional match-up. Alabama edged North Carolina out as hosts of the super regional because Alabama is ranked 4th overall in the 64 team field. So the train wreck that I just won’t be able to look away from begins at 7 pm ET on ESPN Friday night in Tuscaloosa.

North Carolina brings with them 2 players who were chosen in the first round of the MLB draft this week; one of them (Andrew Miller) was chosen 6th overall. Alabama’s highest drafted player is pitcher Wade LeBlanc, who was selected in the 2nd round, 61st overall. Neither school has ever won the College World Series though Alabama has been the runner-up twice. Oh what to do…what to do. On the one hand, I’ve always been a North Carolina fan even before I went to college at Alabama…but I am primarily a Carolina basketball fan…but the baseball team has never been this successful and I want to applaud that. On the other hand, I’ve sat in those bleachers at Sewell-Thomas Stadium on cool Friday nights and hot Saturday and Sunday afternoons and cheered for each and every one of those Alabama baseball players. Coach Wells is the most successful baseball coach in Alabama history, and I just adore him. Oh this is just totally uncool…and in the end I’ll actually experience being happy and sad at the same time. Is that possible?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home