Monday, August 22, 2005

Bundles of Joy

(DISCLAIMER: If you don't have a strong stomach or you are currently eating a meal, you might want to hold off on reading the following until a later time.)

One of the things that I absolutely adore is my time every Sunday morning in the nursery. The babies are a lot of fun and I really enjoy watching them grow week by week even. I "teach" the 0-12 month babies in Bible Class with my excellent co-teacher Melanie. Last weekend I was out of town and completely forgot to get a sub for class...I owe Melanie big time...but I think I got my payback this Sunday morning...

Class time was over and I was hanging out until the parents picked up their children or the nursery attendant for second service arrived. Jill (said nursery attendant) came in and I was trying to get all the babies who were staying for second service into a somewhat orderly fashion so Jill could better manage them if she ended up being the only one there. I picked one of the babies up because she was being fussy and I wanted to try and settle her down before I left. I suppose I either picked her up too fast or she was just due, but I lifted her up in the air in the hopes of making her giggle or smile and settle down. She did smile and then she opened her mouth and spit up...wait for it...right into my mouth. I then calmly leaned over and spit it back out (onto the nursery floor...I know...even more gross) and asked Jill to bring me some tissues from the changing table. Poor Jill had to actually wipe my mouth off for me as I still had the precious angel who did this to me in my hands. Then, as I had planned, I put the baby into her car seat. I walked out and went to the bathroom to "clean up." At this point...really what do you do?

I did discover how strong of a stomach I actually have. I mean I can watch all the gory scary movies out there. I only turned my head once during Interview with the Vampire. But really, until something like this happens you don't really know how much you can handle. Apparently for me, it's a lot. So, I got into my car after saying good-bye to the beloved Jacque (Miss you, Jacque) and I started to head to Sammie and Jill's (different Jill than the one in the nursery) to help set up for small group. I took a short detour, however, and stopped at the 7-11 and got a travel toothbrush and toothpaste because I was way too far from my own toothbrush and toothpaste.

While I hope and pray this little incident never happens again, I really realized how much I love those kids because wow...I can see how something like this would turn someone off of working in the nursery. Funny how my friend Tisa had just said to me earlier that morning something about the joys of parenting. My recommendation today is to call whoever raised you and apologize to them if you happened to ever do this to them when you were an infant because, let me tell you, the receiving end of that is no little miracle. :)

4 Comments:

At 8/22/2005 3:39 PM, Blogger Shayna Willis said...

I don't know if I'm missing a gene or somthing, but babies hold little to no interest for me. I figure this will eventually change or Carl and I will just have to adopt older kids. Stories like this make me realize that if I am missing a baby gene, I am lucky. :-)

 
At 8/22/2005 4:10 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Ahh the joys of teaching in the nursery. :) While I've never receieved spit up in my mouth, I did once have a toddler's diaper explode all over her legs and dress (thankfully I was just out of missile range)...and it was chunky. Mmmm...

 
At 8/23/2005 10:42 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

while these experiences are definitely not something that i am looking forward too (although when it's your own kid it doesn't seem AS disgusting as when it's someone else's kid), is it a weird thing that it totally doesn't turn me off either? :) i guess that's good though... bring it on! :)

 
At 8/23/2005 8:09 PM, Blogger Ellyn said...

You were being punished! God has a sense of humor! That will teach you to not find a sub!

Sam Drown did the same thing to me about 3 months ago! Welcome to the club!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home