Thursday, August 18, 2005

Big People Decisions (This is not a post about weight)

This grown up stuff is for the birds. I miss the days of coming home from school and the only thing you had to do was watch TV, talk on the phone, do your homework, eat dinner, etc. Those were the days...when you didn't have to wonder if your credit history that you think is great is going to be equally as great to someone evaluating it. When you didn't have to hope that someone would be willing to negotiate on terms that would be acceptable for both parties. When something you wanted so badly you could taste it was probably as small as a new pair of pants or as big as your first car. I put in an application today to lease a townhouse in Springfield. Currently, I live in a one bedroom apartment, and, after four years, I've actually outgrown it. Actually, I just want the extra room (especially in the kitchen and additional bedrooms) for out of town guests. This place will also put me a little closer to church which has always been a goal of mine for the next time I moved. In any case, this is a scary time. The owner of the townhouse wants to rent it by Sept. 1, but my current lease doesn't run out until Sept. 30. I've offered a compromise of moving in Sept. 15, but of course it's all up to the owner. I would have loved to buy a place...in fact I would have loved to buy this place, but it's a rental. And, I don't have a good enough savings to bring a mortgage payment down to what the rental prices are right now. I'll be working on that in the couple years to come. In the short-term, however, this place is perfect. It has just enough space...not too much...not too little. The kitchen is fantastic and the bedrooms are really good sizes. I can already see my furniture in it, but I'm doing my best not to get my hopes up and then not get the place. I keep trying to stop thinking about it, but I can't seem to do that. I keep saying that if I'm meant to have this place then I will, but I'm impatient and nervous. I think my credit history is great. I've never missed a payment on any credit card, car loan, rent, etc. In fact, I'm quite annoyingly meticulous about these things. I overdrafted my checking account one time in college (thank God for overdraft protection), and I'm still kicking myself because what kind of accountant does something like that?!?! But just because I think my credit is good doesn't mean that other people are going to think the way I do. So...here I am waiting (rather impatiently) for an answer...hopefully the one I want to hear, but regardless the one I'll need to hear. Can't I just go back to being a kid before all these big people decisions started?!?!

3 Comments:

At 8/19/2005 8:10 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

I am not looking forward to purchasing a house. Because then you have to do stuff like, repairs. That's definitely big people problems.

 
At 8/19/2005 10:23 AM, Blogger JavaBoy said...

i'm proud of ya! i hope it all comes together;

enjoy being young, the big people problems are patiently awaiting you, have no fear!

 
At 8/22/2005 9:18 AM, Blogger Shayna Willis said...

It wasn't quite that simple for me as a child, so I'm glad that I'm finally a grown-up, but I do know what you're saying. Like today, I had to decide when class started because there was no bell. No bell?! Weird. Then, I had to make a decision. Sometimes I forget that I am the grown-up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home