Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hidden Verses

I'm completely convinced that God hides some Bible verses (or at least their meaning) from us until...well...just the right time when we need them or will understand them best. Just like I'm sometimes convinced that Bruce (our minister) has written a sermon just for me. Ok...so I know this one isn't exactly true, but the hidden verse thing is becoming more and more believable. For instance, today's sermon was about our plans vs. God's plans and how we can make a complete checklist for ourselves, but if it is not what God planned for our lives and we haven't included Him in the planning process then it's not His Will (Did I get that right, Bruce?). Bruce plans :) to parlay this sermon into next week's lesson during which he has promised to tell each and every one of us what God's Will is for our lives. I can't wait!!! However, I digress...

During the sermon today, God slapped me across the face (so-to-speak) with one of His hidden verses. I've read the Psalms several times and there's tons of little nuggets of wisdom and comfort in there, but today I was introduced (likely re-introduced) to Psalm 39:7: "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." I mean how simple is that, yet so utterly profound in so many ways. It's brilliant, but I wouldn't expect anything less from God (David's inspiration).

For those of us (myself included) who had their entire life planned out to a certain degree of detail, this is such a freeing passage. It opens up a lot of emotion for me. It's like God is saying that just because your Plan A didn't work doesn't mean it's over and there isn't a Plan B, C, D, E, F, etc. And eventually your Plan B-Z will be God's Plan A all along...in His time. For me, it's screaming out (not viciously) to God to say I didn't get what I wanted (unmet expectations)...so now what...I lay my hope in you...please show me the way...because obviously I stink at planning my life, so will you do it for me?

So, I know that verse has been there all this time, but until this morning, I hadn't discovered just how deeply it could affect my life. It opened a floodgate for me to (once again) let go and let God. For me not to be so bitter that my life didn't turn out the way I expected and that's ok. The life He has built for me is the one I'm supposed to have because He's much better at this life stuff than I am. That said...

Dear God, But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. Love, your daughter, Leann.

3 Comments:

At 7/11/2005 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you said your plan B-Z will become God's plan A all along. Thats so true and so hard to remember. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! =)

 
At 7/11/2005 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog causes me to think of you from God's perspective (well sort of). You've had your super duper plan through the years, but your smooth plan, great as it is, is different from what your heart truly desires. God knows you would be so terribly unhappy if you got your plan without getting your true heart's desire. God puts you into stimulating situations to shine and grow, so that others can see you, and see the growth they want to affiliate themselves with. Cinderella had a lot of hardships. All virtuous heros and heroines do. Also, part of your long wait, may be in having to wait for your eventual ideal partner to mature first.

 
At 7/12/2005 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too like to read David's writings because he has the relationship with our Father with which I most I identify. Never loses sight of God's power and supremacy, yet never loses sight either of God's promises to His faithful. I think that loving God means acknowledging both our accountability and HIS when it comes to our lives. I often scream -not entirely un-viciously- at my disappointments because if nothing else I wish He'd help me understand WHY!? ya know? David has lots of prayers that are great with my own emotions and great with validation that God is familiar with all of them and rates them worthy of quotation in His word to us. So, Rant on and HOPE on in the vane of our great man David!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home