Monday, July 4, 2005

Batman Bandwagon


Call me crazy...that's not an invitation. :) But for only the fourth time ever in my life I saw a movie twice or more in the theater (Saturday AND Sunday night). Batman Begins now joins Forrest Gump, Garden State, and The Polar Express. I have yet to find the proper vocabulary word to describe Batman Begins and all I can come up with is BRILLIANT! I always thought no one could ever top Michael Keaton. No other person's mouth looks better in that mask than Michael Keaton, but the only problem is that he didn't have Christopher Nolan writing the words for him. I have always been a Batman purist, and now I recognize that the "brilliance" of Batman never was realized until now. There were no questions left unanswered, and if you think there were, go back and see the movie, again, because you missed something. So, after seeing it twice, I've discovered a few things to know or be aware of when viewing Batman Begins.

1. The previews were just as perfect as the movie. They gave you just enough information to get you interested and left all the surprises for the actual movie to reveal.

2. Alfred has found the fountain of youth. How else do you explain the man's longevity since he was old when Bruce Wayne was 10.

3. De-program yourself after watching the movie AND before getting on the road because no matter how much you'd like it to be so, your car is NOT the batmobile.

4. Christopher Nolan has an uncanny knack for giving senses of humor to very serious and deeply rooted characters. The movie was hilarious in parts, and AFI could do an entire 100 movie quotes just on this film: "Does it come in black?".

5. The choreography and sound editing of the fight scenes and the bat "attacks" was immaculate. You really feel like you're right in the middle of it all.

6. Someone (Christopher Nolan) finally realized that you don't have to call the batcave the batcave and the batmobile the batmobile for the audience to know what they were. He was able to take all the silliness out without damaging the legend of Batman.

7. Morgan Freeman reminds us in every role he plays that he is one of the best actors who ever lived. "Didn't you get the memo?"

This film has layer upon layer of greatness and we never stop peeling until the credits start rolling. If you've already seen the movie, go back and peel those layers, again. Mark my words: you'll see something you missed or you'll love something even more than you did the first time. If you haven't seen the movie, yet, stop what you're doing right now and head straight to the theater. But, remember, your car is NOT the batmobile.

1 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I truly love your Batman Blog. I was blown away by the Batman writing!! Oh wow, the writing!! Also the casting. I smiled to myself that Gary Oldman and Rutger Hauer both played bats in previous screen gems. I loved feeling justification for future nut jobs like Joker and the Riddler. And feeling justification for why Bruce Wayne never married (hurray, it wasn't his gender orientation, it was the permanent imprint of his one true love). I love the timeliness of an ancient covert society, paralleling several current novels. I loved the echo of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I loved it when he said her words back to her and she recognized who he was. I can't wait to view it again to see what other discoveries await. I loved the waterfall, redemption, baptism. I loved the swarming of the bats when he called them, like Tarzan calling the elephants. PegE Michaud was with me. She had the incubation time of a few weeks from her first viewing to cause a remarkable thought to rise to consciousness. She said the little boy will turn out to be Robin. I instantly knew she was right. I wanted to give her a giant hug. In a future installment, we will actually see what it was that Batman handed him on the fire escape, that was to serve as proof of their meeting. I loved the arrow head. That was maybe my favorite symbolic device. I love that Rachel gave it back to him after so many years. Perhaps it's an allusion to Cupid's hold over them throughout time. Also, an arrowhead is an ancient thing. It was used to provide sustenance for survival. And to vanquish enemies. I wonder if it will hold further significance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home