Friday, March 3, 2006

Irony in Advertising

I was standing in line at the Pentagon Bus depot the other day waiting for my bus to arrive. When it finally pulled up, I noticed the advertisement on the side of the bus. Metrobuses are used to advertise new TV shows, financial institutions, crisis helplines, etc. You name it and they've probably advertised it on the side of one of their buses. However, this particular time the advertisement caught my eye and struck me as quite ironic, yet disturbing. The advertisement this time was for the 3rd installment of the movie Final Destination (a poorly done trilogy...don't bother seeing it). So, no lie, the bus that I was about to board actually claimed on the side of it:

FINAL DESTINATION 3:
THIS RIDE WILL BE THE DEATH OF YOU

I honestly thought twice about boarding the bus, but thankfully there wasn't truth in this advertising.

3 Comments:

At 3/03/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

I wouldn't ride THAT bus.

 
At 3/06/2006 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Bad placement but hilarious.

 
At 3/07/2006 10:24 AM, Blogger Jeff Proctor said...

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here...but I think it is an intentional reference to the scene in the original Final Destination where the girl gets hit by the bus. I think it's funny and shows a fair amount of open-mindedness by the Metro ad people....OR, they haven't seen the movies. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home