Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rest In Peace Ms. Vivian

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Vivian Malone Jones. Vivian was one of the first African American students (and first African American graduate of the University) to enroll at the University of Alabama, and was the target of then Governor Wallace's stand in the schoolhouse door. I have always held my alma mater in high esteem, but it's storied past definitely has it's blemishes. Vivian was a fighter. A person to stand up against adversity, prejudice, and racism because she knew she deserved everything any other HUMAN BEING was offered on this earth. I walked past the portrait of her in a red suit on the first floor of Bidgood Hall almost every day of my college career, and it always gave me that extra little push I needed. Because if she could go through everything she endured to graduate from Alabama, then my stupid little things I was going through were a piece of cake. Thanks for the inspiration, Ms. Vivian. Thank you for sharing your beautiful, courageous soul with this world.

2 Comments:

At 10/16/2005 10:50 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

I read about this. Nice you wrote a blog piece, as well.

Washington Cube Was Here. #365

 
At 10/17/2005 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know she passed away. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home