Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Courage

We've seen a lot of courage this week in the recounting of stories in the wake of the Virginia Tech tragedy. I've found myself seeking solace in normal everyday problems to try and take my mind off of all of it because every now and then you just need a break from thinking about all those families who will never see their son, daughter, mother, father, sister, or brother smile or hear their laugh, again. To never be able to hug them, again...it's just a deep sadness that makes you sit unable to move for an eternity.

This weekend, I'm going to Richmond to attend the Commonwealth Collegiate Challenge. It's a Senior game between basketball players from the Colonial Athletic Association and the Atlantic Coast Conference. When I first heard about it, I was excited to go because Reyshawn Terry and Wes Miller from UNC were playing in it. I've spoken over email and the phone with the event coordinator, and today I asked if because of the tragedy this week if the Virginia Tech players planned to still play. I explained that I understood completely if they didn't, but would love it if they did. He said they did plan to play, and the only change was actually Wes Miller having to drop out because of a prior engagement. That saddened me because Wes is my favorite player from this year's team until he explained that they had replaced Wes on the roster with another Virginia Tech senior. These same players that it pained me to see during the season, these Tech basketball players who may not have known the shooter or the victims at all, but as was said several times in yesterday's convocation, they are all Hokies. Courage comes in all shapes, sizes, and amounts, and when those boys walk out on that court Saturday night, I'll be proud to stand up and cheer on the HOKIES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home