Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tarik, You Will Be Missed


This news saddens me greatly. I thought I at least had one more season before I had to come to grips with the idea of him not being at left tackle to protect Peyton's blindside since he would be a free agent at the end of the 2007 season. Granted he could give me fits with his tendency to commit false starts, but how great of a person and player he was incredibly outweighed those penalties. In fact there isn't much about him that I didn't like. A three time (04, 05, 06) pro bowl offensive lineman whose menacing ways on the field could fool you into believing this guy has no heart, but once he turns on the charm with that smile that could light up a room, you realize who the real Tarik is. #78 is one of the good guys, and I'll greatly miss watching him deny defenses access to his quarterback. My heart aches right now, but I understand and appreciate Tarik for recognizing when the passion has gone out of him and choosing to step aside rather than hurt the team. He has always done what was best for the team.

It's funny when I think about the fact that I wouldn't be a Colts fan if it weren't for Peyton Manning. Sure I might have followed them a little when Tony took over as coach because I love me some Tony Dungy, but my becoming a Colts fan was decided by the 1998 draft. And if it weren't for that, I never would have fallen in love with so many great people, especially Tarik. When I look back many years down the road when I hope to one day be a Colts fan for more years than I wasn't, I will see Peyton Manning and immediately look to his left to find Tarik Glenn because for me no one can replace him on that line. Sure someone will try to fill the void, but he brought so much more to his position than anyone ever asked for. I felt so safe, so secure when he was out there with Peyton because Tarik really was his bodyguard.

But I get it. I understand. He needs to walk away now, while he still can, when he knows his heart isn't in it any longer. So, for 10 seasons, sweet Tarik, I say, "Thanks for the memories! See you in Canton!"

Here's a Q&A with him from March of this year that will tell you more about the kind of man Tarik is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home